Key Stage 3
Key Stage 4
Content Coming Soon
Links & Resources
KS4 Music Course title and type of qualification: Cambridge Nationals Certification/Diploma What will I learn? GCSE Music is an interesting course that encourages you to explore and develop your musical skills in listening, composing and performing. During lessons we’ll cover everything you need to know and develop your listening skills for the written exam. We will also do a lot of composition exercises to give you a range of ideas about how to compose an effective piece. There will also be chances for you to perform a wide range of music as a group and to work together to prepare for a range of Concerts and Productions. The Music GCSE specification is currently being reviewed along with many other subjects, which means the details here may be subject to change How will I be assessed? Unit 1: Listening We look at a whole range of musical elements and genres in the lessons to prepare you for a written exam at the end of the course. This is worth 20% of the total marks. Unit 2: Composing and Appraising You compose a piece of music and write about your ideas and what you think of the final piece. This is completed in 20 hours of controlled time and It’s worth 20% of the total marks. Unit 3: Performing We record you performing on your own and with others any time during the course. These performances are marked in school and are worth 40% of the total marks. Unit 4: Composing This is another composition which you have 25 hours in school time to complete. You can compose in any style and we mark this in school. It’s worth 20% of the total marks. What could I move onto? Music groups do well at Bishop Young. Universities are very interested in candidates who have a good track record of participation in extra curricula activities and have proved they can express themselves creatively as well as verbally and in writing. You will work as a team with others who share your passion for music, build the confidence necessary to present your ideas to an audience and learn a lot about yourself by the end of the course. You’ll also get credit for learning an instrument and free tuition from school peri teachers. GCSE Music is really useful if you aspire to a career as a performer, producer, composer or teacher. It is also valuable for Music journalism, Musical theatre, Arts administration and to access A Levels and Higher Education courses in Music, Music Technology, Theatre Studies or Performing Arts. Examination Board: AQA
Links & Resources
Bishop Young Academy Bishops Way Seacroft Leeds LS14 6NU Tel: 0113 273 9100 Fax: 0113 273 4216 info@bishopyoungacademy.co.uk Abbey Multi Academy Trust, c/o Chapter House, Abbey Grange Church of England Academy, Butcher Hill, Leeds, LS16 5EA Tel: 0113 257877 enquiries@abbeytrust.org
Company No.: 07705552